Re: Trying to minimize the impact of checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Trying to minimize the impact of checkpoints
Date
List pgsql-general
>> [sync before fsync]

> Not a good idea on some systems. From the linux sync(2) manpage:

> BUGS
>        According to the standard specification (e.g., SVID), sync()
>        schedules the writes, but may return before the actual writing
>        is done.  However, since version 1.3.20 Linux does actually
>        wait.

This is another reason why it would have to be optional: the win comes
only if the kernel adheres literally to the SVID specification for
sync(2).  I think all the BSDen do, and HPUX seems to, but there are
undoubtedly platforms that don't.

            regards, tom lane