Re: WIP patch: add (PRE|POST)PROCESSOR options to COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP patch: add (PRE|POST)PROCESSOR options to COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yeah, I agree, although the syntax looks a bit unclean.

Oh, I had not looked at the syntax closely.  I agree, that basically
sucks: it's overcomplicated and under-featured, because you can't
control the actual program command line very conveniently.  Nor do I see
a reason to force this into the model of "program filtering a specific
file".  What happened to the previous proposal of treating the COPY
target as a pipe specification, ie
COPY table FROM 'some command line |';COPY table TO '| some command line';

> Not sure what we'd do for \copy though.

Adding a pipe symbol to the target works exactly the same for \copy.