Sequence generating negative numbers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shantanu Shekhar
Subject Sequence generating negative numbers
Date
List pgsql-general
Team,

I have a sequence definition in Postgres 9.6.11 like so:

CREATE SEQUENCE IF NOT EXISTS org.my_seq
  INCREMENT 1
  MINVALUE 1
  NO MAXVALUE
  START 1
  CACHE 20;

This sequence is used by a Java ORM framework to generate primary keys for one of our tables. The initial numbers generated by this sequence are as shown below:

-28 -27 -26 -25 -8 -7 1 2 52 53 72 92 93 94 112 113 132 133 152 172 192 193 212

I am unable to understand why the sequence would start with a negative number, particularly when the definition explicitly asks the sequence to start at 1. This has happened consistently in all of our environments.

Thanks,

Shantanu