Re: archive is compressed - any data will not be available - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: archive is compressed - any data will not be available
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Iain" <iain@mst.co.jp> writes:
> I was given a set of 3 dump files (in a tar.gz archive) generated by a 7.1
> DB that I'm trying to import into another 7.1 DB. 2 of the files (the
> smaller ones) restore no problems, but one gives the above mentioned
> message.

Apparently you are trying to load into a server compiled with different
options --- specifically, the destination software was built without zlib
and so has no ability to read (nor create) compressed archives.

Your choices are to go back to the source DB and tell pg_dump to dump
without compression, or to rebuild the destination DB with zlib
available.

I think, but wouldn't entirely swear to it, that zlib is only used in
pg_dump/pg_restore, so it might be sufficient to rebuild those two
programs and not the whole Postgresql suite.

            regards, tom lane