Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization
Date
List pgsql-patches
Claudio Natoli <claudio.natoli@memetrics.com> writes:
> Just to be clear, this would involve turning the BackendList dlllist into an
> array in shared memory, right? If so, a couple of questions:

Per Jan's comment, there is no need to mess with the existing
datastructure.  I'd think more of *copying* the dllist into some array
in shared memory.  This is code that would only need to exist in the
Windows port.

>   - the postmaster makes all calls referencing this list, with the exception
> of processCancelRequest, correct?

The postmaster writes the array (and really would have no need to read
it).  Sub-postmasters would need to read the array, either to check an
incoming cancel request or to get the current-session key value to pass
back to the client.  I don't think that PostgresMain or any subsidiary
routine would ever need to touch it.

            regards, tom lane