Re: Question about DB VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question about DB VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Chris White \(cjwhite\)" <cjwhite@cisco.com> writes:
> Okay now I understand what is going on. I have a second thread which is
> being used to read these objects out of the database to present to the
> user, and because large objects can only be accessed in a transaction
> mode I have not closed the transaction on this thread. Should I do a
> commit or rollback to terminate the transaction, once I have closed the
> large object, even though I have not done any modifications to the large
> objects?

Yes, if you need to reclaim the space from recently-deleted large
objects.  Under ordinary scenarios I'd not think that you have to be
real tense about this.  However, if your reader thread was in the habit
of holding open the same transaction for hours or days, that would be
a Bad Thing ...

            regards, tom lane