Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC checks and pg_migrator - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC checks and pg_migrator
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> For example, right now pg_migrator can migrate to 8.4 and 8.5, but there
> is no way to distribute a binary that will migrate to both because you
> need different shared libraries with different PG_MODULE_MAGIC values.

[ yawn... ]  By the time 8.5 (9.0?) ships, this will probably not be
true.  Quit stressing about it and figure on shipping a pg_migrator
per version.

> I am not sure what to suggest except perhaps that there be some way to
> link in a shared object without the magic block checks.

We are *not* doing that.  The potential for error, and costly debug
time, greatly outweighs any possible savings.