Re: reducing statistics write overhead - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reducing statistics write overhead
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> How necessary is this given the recent fixes to allow the stats file to
>> be kept on a ramdisk?

> I would prefer this approach and back-out the other change.

Even if we get on-demand done, I wouldn't see it as a reason to back out
the statfile relocation work.  In an environment where the stats are
demanded frequently, you could still need that for performance.

(In fact, maybe this patch ought to include some sort of maximum update
rate tunable?  The worst case behavior could actually be WORSE than now.)