Re: COPY / extend ExclusiveLock - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: COPY / extend ExclusiveLock
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> On 3/22/12 2:13 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Has anyone been working on or considering how to improve the logic
>> around doing extends on relations to perhaps make larger extensions
>> for larger tables?  Or make larger extensions when tables are growing
>> very quickly?

> I know that there's been discussion around this. Way back in the day we extended relations one page at a time. I
don'tremember if that was changed or not.

No, it's still on the to-do list.  One issue is that you probably don't
want individual insertion queries taking big response-time hits to do
large extensions themselves --- so somehow the bulk of the work needs to
be pushed to some background process.