Re: JSON Function Bike Shedding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: JSON Function Bike Shedding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> David,
>> However, I am not so keen on the function names. They all start with
>> json_! This mostly feels redundant to me, since the types of the
>> parameters are part of the function signature.

> I have no opinion about starting the function names with json_ or not.

+1 for removing that where possible.  We generally have avoided such
names at SQL level.  (The C-level function names need such prefixes to
be unique, but the SQL names don't.)

In the cases where one or more arguments are anyelement, however, we may
need to be more specific to avoid ambiguity problems in future.  I agree
with Josh's objections to record(), row() etc.  to_record() and
to_recordset() might be OK.