Re: initdb stores default client_encoding from environment-variable - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb stores default client_encoding from environment-variable
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Wolfgang.Koenig" <Wolfgang.Koenig@versatel.de> writes:
> initdb stores default client_encoding from environment-variable
> Postgres Version: 8.4.3 and 8.3.6
> Operating System: Sun Solaris 5.10 and SuseEnterprise 9

> When a database is initialized with the initdb-command, the default
> client_enconding, which will be stored in the DB, depends on the value
> of the environment-variable PGCLIENTENCODING at the time of running
> initdb.

Hmm, it doesn't do that for me.  initdb actually takes some pains to
ensure that PGCLIENTENCODING doesn't affect it:

    /* Also ensure backend isn't confused by this environment var: */
    unsetenv("PGCLIENTENCODING");

I suppose that unsetenv isn't working properly on your platform for some
reason.  Does configure think that it's present?  If not, we're going to
fall back to the implementation in src/port/unsetenv.c, which might not
work for you.

            regards, tom lane