Re: Toooo many context switches (maybe SLES8?) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Toooo many context switches (maybe SLES8?)
Date
Re: Toooo many context switches (maybe SLES8?)  (Dirk.Lutzebaeck@t-online.de (Dirk Lutzebaeck))
List pgsql-performance
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> Improve spinlock code for recent x86 processors: insert a PAUSE
>> instruction in the s_lock() wait loop, and use test before test-and-set
>> in TAS() macro to avoid unnecessary bus traffic.  Patch from Manfred
>> Spraul, reworked a bit by Tom.

> I thought this had been committed to the 7.4 stable branch as well, but
> it appears not.

I am currently chasing what seems to be the same issue: massive context
swapping on a dual Xeon system.  I tried back-patching the above-mentioned
patch ... it helps a little but by no means solves the problem ...

            regards, tom lane