Re: pg_upgrade documentation improvement patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade documentation improvement patch
Date
Re: pg_upgrade documentation improvement patch  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Interesting to me would be a way, perhaps with an option in initdb, to
> just say, initialize this cluster compatibly with that other cluster, so
> you don't have to worry about these details.

Good idea, though I'd think of it as a pg_upgrade option more than being
initdb's problem.  Either way, though, it would be on the code's head
to do something about converting the postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf, etc
configuration files from the old cluster to the new, which means this
isn't just a trivial matter of running initdb on the target PGDATA
location.  That turns it into a bit of a research project I'm afraid
--- but if we could get there, it'd be a nice improvement.