Re: Better support for whole-row operations and composite types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Better support for whole-row operations and composite types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> For triggers, I was previously building up the arguments thus:
>      slot = TupleDescGetSlot(tupdesc);
>      slot->val = trigdata->tg_trigtuple;
>      arg[7] = PointerGetDatum(slot);

> I suppose now I should do this instead?
>      arg[7] = PointerGetDatum(trigdata->tg_trigtuple->t_data);

Hm, no, that won't work because a tuple being passed to a trigger
probably isn't going to contain valid type information.  The API for
calling triggers is different from calling ordinary functions, so
I never thought about trying to make it look the same.  At what point
are you trying to do the above, anyway?