Re: problems with building recent cvs snaphots - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problems with building recent cvs snaphots
Date
List pgsql-general
Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
> Hubert depesz Lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.pl> writes:
>> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 07:28:16PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Or use a tarball distribution (beta3 or the nightly snapshot).
>>
>> and precompiled binaries are not really an option.

> Tom means a tarball source distribution.  You don't have to run Bison
> when building from a tarball (the Bison-generated files are already
> included); you do when building from CVS.  Clear?

Also, if you're willing to build Postgres from source, I fail to see why
you're resisting building bison from source.  It's not hard:

    tar xfz bison-1.75.tar.gz
    cd bison-1.75
    make
    make check    -- optional
    make install    -- probably need to do this step as root

and then make sure /usr/local/bin is in your PATH ahead of whereever
the standard bison lives.  When your distro updates, clean out
/usr/local and you're back to normal.

            regards, tom lane