Re: 7.4beta4: make check broken? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4beta4: make check broken?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
ljb <ljb220@mindspring.com> writes:
> Confirmed. Perhaps this should be looked into. On my system, "make check"
> works fine if there is no existing PostgreSQL installation. But if there
> is, we seem to prefer the existing installation's libraries over what
> pg_regress sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to (the newly built software).  This means
> that "make check" will either fail in createdb (if the existing install is
> 7.3, for example) or work but actually be testing the newly built programs
> using the existing version's run-time libpq library.

Yeah, we have seen this before on various platforms.  On some,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't actually anything the dynamic linker pays
attention to, and on others, it is trumped by the installation rpath
built into the executables.  Not putting an rpath into the executables
would make life better for "make check" at the cost of making the
executables much more fragile in actual use.  I don't see a good
solution :-( but if you do, step right up to the plate ...

            regards, tom lane