Re: Installing Postgres w/RH9 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Installing Postgres w/RH9
Date
List pgsql-general
Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu writes:
> -bash-2.05b$ postmaster&
> [1] 3139
> -bash-2.05b$ FATAL:  File /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION is missing. This is not
> a valid data directory.

You haven't run initdb, or at least haven't run it in that PGDATA
directory.  If you think that the rpm package installation process
should have run initdb (I honestly don't know whether it would or not),
then check to see if your PGDATA setting agrees with the package docs.

> [root@regulus pgsql]# for i in `ls postgresql*.rpm`; do rpm -e $i; done
> error: package postgresql72-libs-1-3.i386.rpm is not installed
> [root@regulus pgsql]# for i in `ls postgresql*.rpm`; do rpm -i $i; done
> warning: postgresql72-libs-1-3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
>         package postgresql72-libs-1-3 is already installed

I'm pretty sure that "rpm -e" wants just the bare package name, without
any ".rpm" extension.  As somebody else noted, looking at the output of
"rpm -qa" is the most reliable way to get the names of your installed
packages.

            regards, tom lane