Re: Open 7.3 issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Open 7.3 issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Point-in-time recovery - ready for 7.3?
>>
>> This seems very unlikely now.  Status?

> It would be a shame to have to wait for 7.4 for this one.

If a credible patch appears before the end of the month, great ---
but the discussions so far have left me feeling that we're still
a ways away from PITR.  And I *don't* want to hold up 7.3 to wait
for it.  Learned that lesson with WAL for 7.1 ...

>> glibc and mktime() - fix?
>>
>> I can do the work on this I need more info and no one seems to be
>> conerned.

> I'm concerned, but in the few moments I've had to play with this, what
> looked like the obvious fix didn't seem to work (I was hacking on glibc
> itself though).

Red Hat's internal opinion seems to be that "#define NO_MKTIME_BEFORE_1970"
is a sufficient answer.  I consider that well to the south of sucking,
but at this point I really doubt that we have the time to implement a
better answer for 7.3.  A better answer seems to mean writing our own
interface to the zic timezone database.  Make no mistake: I think we
should do that, and will do it eventually.  I just doubt it'll happen
in the next two weeks.  And again, I do not feel we should hold up 7.3
to wait for a solution.