Re: 7.5 Plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.5 Plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> 'k, but why can't that be accomplished with $Id$?

$Id$ isn't much better than $Header$ --- the point is to avoid keywords
that downstream people's CVS repositories will want to replace.

> Are there any caveats to the change?  Ie. if Tom has a checkout and this
> change is made, will he have problems committing?

Making the change will mean a big "cvs update" pass for everyone, but
no worse than what happens every time Bruce hits the copyright dates,
for example.  It's a one-line change in every file AFAICS.

I'd recommend giving committers a day or two's notice of the edit, same
as Bruce typically does for pgindent runs, but there's no reason to
consider it any worse than that.