Re: [PERFORM] Seq scan of table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Seq scan of table?
Date
List pgsql-general
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 06:07, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> You should find plenty of discussion of why in the archives, but the short
>> reason is that PG's type structure is quite flexible which means it can't
>> afford to make too many assumptions.

> Well, it's definitely a bug in PG, it's "quite flexible" type structure
> notwithstanding.

Let's say it's something we'd really like to fix ;-) ... and will, as
soon as we can figure out a cure that's not worse than the disease.
Dorking around with the semantics of numeric expressions has proven
to be a risky business.  See, eg, the thread starting here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00468.php

            regards, tom lane