From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: 8rc2 & BLCKSZ
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

8rc2 & BLCKSZ  (Pailloncy Jean-Gerard, )
 Re: 8rc2 & BLCKSZ  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: 8rc2 & BLCKSZ  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: 8rc2 & BLCKSZ  (Mario Weilguni, )

Vivek Khera <> writes:
> One of the suggestions handed to me a long time ago for speeding up PG
> on FreeBSD was to double the default blocksize in PG.  I tried it, but
> found not a significant enough speed up to make it worth the trouble
> to remember to patch every version of Pg during the upgrade path (ie,
> 7.4.0 -> 7.4.2 etc.)  Forgetting to do that would be disastrous!

Not really --- the postmaster will refuse to start if the BLCKSZ shown
in pg_control doesn't match what is compiled in.  I concur though that
there may be no significant performance gain.  For some workloads there
may well be a performance loss from increasing BLCKSZ.

            regards, tom lane