Re: Permissions Scenerio - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Permissions Scenerio
Date
List pgsql-admin
Trent Pingenot <pintj@hotmail.com> writes:
> I've been a PostGres user for a while, but am just now having to implement some security for a project.  The hope is
thatwe can create an environment through Roles that would allow users the ability to create a database(s) and have
accessto their database(s) but not have access to others' databases. I've been able to get part of the way there to
createa user with createDB privileges and recording them in the pg_hba.conf file. However, when my test user creates a
newdatabase, they are the owner of that database but can't use it.  Is there a way to avoid having to add user
/databaseentry in
> the pg_hba.conf file every time a user creates a new database?

Don't try to enforce per-database connect permissions in pg_hba.conf;
at least, not any such permissions you don't want to have to edit that
file to change.  Instead use GRANT/REVOKE CONNECT ON DATABASE.

            regards, tom lane