Re: Upgrading postgresql-8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Upgrading postgresql-8.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Erickson <serickson@digitiliti.com> writes:
> This went well and postgres restarted just fine.  However, now when I execute a pg_dump I get a missing chunk 0 for
pg_toast_2619while querying pg_attribute.  I did a reindex on pg_toast_2619, then tried to VACUUM ANALYZE pg_attribute
butagain got the missing chunk 0 error.

> Did I miss a step doing the upgrade or recovery attempt, or is the
> data corrupted?

It's corrupt, but fortunately for you, 2619 is pg_statistic which is
eminently discardable data.  Just truncate pg_statistic and you should
be good.  If you aren't immediately abandoning the old database, you
might want to re-ANALYZE everything to reconstruct the stats.

We've seen one or two reports like this before, which makes me think
there might be a reproducible bug lurking somewhere around here; but
I don't suppose you have a recipe for getting a database into this
state ...

            regards, tom lane