Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> IMO, what this patch needs is to not output the types unless they are
>> actually different from the default (which can be inferred from the AM
>> type and the function arguments). That would fix my concern about it
>> emitting information that is 99.44% useless.

> I guess we could do that, but I don't understand how you're supposed
> to infer them, which means probably a lot of other people won't
> either.

Read the CREATE OPERATOR CLASS source code.  (It likely would be best to
refactor that a bit so it would expose some way to obtain the implied
defaults --- I don't think that's done explicitly now, and it's
certainly not exported from opclasscmds.c.)