Re: "Cache lookup failed for relation 16905" ?? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "Cache lookup failed for relation 16905" ??
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Howe <howe@carcass.dhs.org> writes:
> I got a weird behavior testing PostgreSQL 7.3b3. The query below was
> run in a FreeBSD 4.4 system, on a fresh install and just I just had
> made an initb. No classes created at all.

> howe=# select p.oid, n.nspname, pg_get_userbyid(p.proowner), proname
> from pg_proc as p, pg_namespace as n where pg_table_is_visible(p.oid);
> ERROR:  Cache lookup failed for relation 16905
> ERROR:  Cache lookup failed for relation 16905

I think you want pg_function_is_visible, not pg_table_is_visible.

However this does show that the foo_is_visible functions aren't reacting
very nicely when given bad input: they all put out a "Cache lookup
failed" message, rather than something more easily interpretable.

I'm not quite sure what should happen when foo_is_visible is called with
an OID that is not the OID of any foo object; should it quietly return
false, or should it raise a "no such object" error?