Re: Clients disconnect but query still runs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Clients disconnect but query still runs
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> That is a question. But actually I think sigio might be fairly
> portable -- at least the first hit I found was for someone complaining
> that it wasn't working on Linux (due to a bug) and this broke their
> app which worked everywhere else.

> In any case this would be a feature which if it didn't work would
> leave us just where we are today. That's another advantage over trying
> to do something with sigurg which would be far more likely to cause
> headaches if it behave incorrectly.

[ reads man pages for awhile... ]  It looks to me like SIGIO is sent
whenever the socket comes ready for either reading or writing, which
makes it pretty nearly useless for detecting a broken-connection
condition.  You'd be too busy filtering out uninteresting signals ---
and the signal handler itself can't do very much of that work.

            regards, tom lane