Re: per backend I/O statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: per backend I/O statistics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 03 Sep 2024 15:37:49 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> When I first looked at this patch, my initial thought was whether we
> should let these stats stay "fixed." The reason why the current
> PGSTAT_KIND_IO is fixed is that there is only one global statistics
> storage for the entire database. If we have stats for a flexible
> number of backends, it would need to be non-fixed, perhaps with the
> entry for INVALID_PROC_NUMBER storing the global I/O stats, I
> suppose. However, one concern with that approach would be the impact
> on performance due to the frequent creation and deletion of stats
> entries caused by high turnover of backends.

As an additional benefit of this approach, the client can set a
connection variable, for example, no_backend_iostats to true, or set
its inverse variable to false, to restrict memory usage to only the
required backends.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi