Re: Meson far from ready on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Meson far from ready on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-06-21 12:20:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > I'm confused - the old build system wasn't flexible around this stuff *at
> > all*. Everyone had to patch it to get dependencies to work, unless you
> > chose
> > exactly the right source to download from - which was often not documented
> > or
> > outdated.
> >

> As I noted above - as the "owner" of the official packages, I never did
> despite using a variety of upstream sources.

For reference, with 16 and src/tools/msvc:
- upstream zstd build doesn't work, wrong filename (libzstd.dll.a instead of libzstd.lib)
- upstream lz4 build doesn't work, wrong filename (liblz4.dll.a instead of liblz4.lib)
- openssl, from https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.htm , as our
  docs suggest: doesn't work, wrong filenames (openssl.lib instead of
  lib*64.lib, works if you delete lib/VC/sslcrypto64MD.lib)
- iconv/intl: mismatching library names (lib*.dll.a lib*.lib)

- zlib at least at least from some of the sources (it's hard to tell, because
  everything available is so outdated), wrong filenames

Upstream ICU works.

I gave up at this point, so I don't know if libxml, xslt and uuid work without
patching the sources.

Greetings,

Andres Freund