Re: Meson far from ready on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Meson far from ready on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-06-24 09:54:51 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > The old system was a major bottleneck. For one, there was no way to run all
> > tests. And even the tests that one could run, would run serially, leading
> > exceedingly long tests times. While that could partially be addressed by
> > having both buildsystems in parallel, the old one would frequently break
> > in a
> > way that one couldn't reproduce on other systems. And resource wise it
> > wasn't
> > feasible to test both old and new system for cfbot/CI.
> >

> Hmm, I've found that running the tests under Meson takes notably longer
> than the old system - maybe 5 - 10x longer ("meson test" vs. "vcregress
> check"). I haven't yet put any effort into figuring out a cause for that
> yet.

That's because vcregress check only runs a small portion of the tests (just
the main pg_regress checks, no tap tests, no extension). Which is pretty much
my point.

To run a decent, but still far from complete, portion of the tests you needed to do
this:
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/REL_15_STABLE/.cirrus.tasks.yml#L402-L440

If you want to run just the main regression tests with meson, you can:
  meson test --suite setup --suite regress

To see the list of all tests
  meson test --list

Greetings,

Andres Freund