Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date
Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-05-21 09:27:20 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Also, the release notes are also not just important to users. I often go back
> and look in the release notes to see when some some important change was made,
> because sometimes it's harder to find it in the git log, due to sheer
> volume. And even just keeping up with all the changes between two releases is
> hard, it's useful to be able to read the release notes and see what happened.
>
> [...]
>
> [1] I've wondered if we should have one more level of TOC on the release note
> page, so it's easier to jump to specific sections.

Which reminds me: Eventually I'd like to add links to the most important
commits related to release note entries. We already do much of the work of
building that list of commits for each entry. That'd allow a reader to find
more details if interested.

Right one either has to open the sgml file (which no user will know to do), or
find the git entries manually. The latter of which is often hard, because the
git commits often will use different wording etc.

Admittedly doing so within the constraints of docbook and not wanting to
overly decrease density (both in .sgml and the resulting html) isn't a trivial
task.

That's entirely independent of my concern around noting performance
improvements in the release notes, of course.

Greetings,

Andres Freund