Re: [HACKERS] Bug in ExecModifyTable function and trigger issues for foreign tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Bug in ExecModifyTable function and trigger issues for foreign tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
>> A separate point -- it might be marginally more efficient to have the
>> work of rewriteTargetListUD() done after expand_targetlist() to avoid
>> the possible renumbering of the resjunk entries.

> Hm.  It wouldn't save a lot, but yeah, doing it in this order seems
> a bit silly when you put it like that.

On looking closer, the reason it's like that in Fujita-san's patch
is to minimize the API churn seen by FDW AddForeignUpdateTargets
functions, specifically whether they see a tlist that's before or
after what expand_targetlist() does.  I'm doubtful that the
potential savings is worth taking risks there.  In particular,
it seems like a good thing that expand_targetlist() verifies the
correct tlist ordering *after* the FDW function has acted.
So now my inclination is to leave this alone.