Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-04-06 12:10:57 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> After this, I think for backends that have active slots, it would
> simply cancel the current query. Will that be sufficient? Because we
> want the backend process should exit and release the slot so that the
> startup process can mark it invalid.

We don't need them to exit, we just need them to release the slot. Which does
happen when the query is cancelled. Imagine if that weren't the case - if a
cancellation of pg_logical_slot_* wouldn't release the slot, we couldn't call
it again before disconnecting. I also did verify that indeed the slot is
released upon a cancellation.

Greetings,

Andres Freund