Re: Memory leak from ExecutorState context? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Subject Re: Memory leak from ExecutorState context?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, I was reviewing the first patch and it took me some
time to study and dig around.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:07:04 -0400
Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 1:51 PM Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
> <jgdr@dalibo.com> wrote:
> > > So I guess the best thing would be to go through these threads, see what
> > > the status is, restart the discussion and propose what to do. If you do
> > > that, I'm happy to rebase the patches, and maybe see if I could improve
> > > them in some way.
> >
> > OK! It took me some time, but I did it. I'll try to sum up the situation as
> > simply as possible.
>
> Wow, so many memories!
>
> I'm excited that someone looked at this old work (though it is sad that
> a customer faced this issue). And, Jehan, I really appreciate your great
> summarization of all these threads. This will be a useful reference.

Thank you!

> > 1. "move BufFile stuff into separate context"
> > [...]
> >    I suppose this simple one has been forgotten in the fog of all other
> >    discussions. Also, this probably worth to be backpatched.
>
> I agree with Jehan-Guillaume and Tomas that this seems fine to commit
> alone.

This is a WIP.

> > 2. "account for size of BatchFile structure in hashJoin"
> > [...]
>
> I think I would have to see a modern version of a patch which does this
> to assess if it makes sense. But, I probably still agree with 2019
> Melanie :)

I volunteer to work on this after the memory context patch, unless someone grab
it in the meantime.

> [...]
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 10:12 AM Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
> <jgdr@dalibo.com> wrote:
> > BNJL and/or other considerations are for 17 or even after. In the meantime,
> > Melanie, who authored BNLJ, +1 the balancing patch as it can coexists with
> > other discussed solutions. No one down vote since then. Melanie, what is
> > your opinion today on this patch? Did you change your mind as you worked
> > for many months on BNLJ since then?
>
> So, in order to avoid deadlock, my design of adaptive hash join/block
> nested loop hash join required a new parallelism concept not yet in
> Postgres at the time -- the idea of a lone worker remaining around to do
> work when others have left.
>
> See: BarrierArriveAndDetachExceptLast()
> introduced in 7888b09994
>
> Thomas Munro had suggested we needed to battle test this concept in a
> more straightforward feature first, so I implemented parallel full outer
> hash join and parallel right outer hash join with it.

> This has been stalled ready-for-committer for two years. It happened to
> change timing such that it made an existing rarely hit parallel hash
> join bug more likely to be hit. Thomas recently committed our fix for
> this in 8d578b9b2e37a4d (last week). It is my great hope that parallel
> full outer hash join goes in before the 16 feature freeze.

This is really interesting to follow. I kinda feel/remember how this could
be useful for your BNLJ patch. It's good to see things are moving, step by
step.

Thanks for the pointers.

> If it does, I think it could make sense to try and find committable
> smaller pieces of the adaptive hash join work. As it is today, parallel
> hash join does not respect work_mem, and, in some sense, is a bit broken.
>
> I would be happy to work on this feature again, or, if you were
> interested in picking it up, to provide review and any help I can if for
> you to work on it.

I don't think I would be able to pick up such a large and complex patch. But I'm
interested to help, test and review, as far as I can!

Regards,