Re: meson documentation build open issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date
Re: meson documentation build open issues  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-03-15 20:55:33 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> WIP patch for that attached. There's now
>   install-doc-man
>   install-doc-html
> run targets and a
>   install-docs
> alias target.
>

> I did end up getting stuck when hacking on this, and ended up adding css
> support for nochunk and support for the website style for htmlhelp and
> nochunk, as well as obsoleting the need for copying the css files... But
> perhaps that's a bit too much.

Updated set of patches attached. This one works in older meson versions too
and adds install-world and install-quiet targets.

I also ended up getting so frustrated at the docs build speed that I started
to hack a bit on that. I attached a patch shaving a few seconds off the
buildtime.

I think we can make the docs build in parallel and incrementally, by building
the different parts of the docs in parallel, using --stringparam rootid,
e.g. building each 'part' separately.

A very very rough draft attached:

parallel with parts:
real    0m10.831s
user    0m58.295s
sys    0m1.402s

normal:
real    0m32.215s
user    0m31.876s
sys    0m0.328s

1/3 of the build time at 2x the cost is nothing to sneeze at.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment