Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 10:38:56AM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 09:34:10AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> To that end- perhaps this isn't appropriate as a GUC at all?  Why not
>> have this just be a system information function?  Functionally it really
>> provides the same info- if the server is running then you get back
>> either true or false, if it's not then you can't call it but that's
>> hardly different from an unknown or error result.
>
> We talked about making it a function ~6 weeks ago.
>
> Is there an agreement to use a function, instead ?

If we're tallying votes, please count me as +1 for a system information
function.  I think that nicely sidesteps having to return "unknown" in some
cases, which I worry will just cause confusion.  IMHO it is much more
obvious that the value refers to the current server if you have to log in
and execute a function to see it.

--
Nathan Bossart