Re: refactoring relation extension and BufferAlloc(), faster COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: refactoring relation extension and BufferAlloc(), faster COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-02-21 17:33:31 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2023-Feb-21, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
> > > +static BlockNumber
> > > +BulkExtendSharedRelationBuffered(Relation rel,
> > > +                                 SMgrRelation smgr,
> > > +                                 bool skip_extension_lock,
> > > +                                 char relpersistence,
> > > +                                 ForkNumber fork, ReadBufferMode mode,
> > > +                                 BufferAccessStrategy strategy,
> > > +                                 uint32 *num_pages,
> > > +                                 uint32 num_locked_pages,
> > > +                                 Buffer *buffers)
> >
> > Ugh, that's a lot of arguments, some are inputs and some are outputs. I
> > don't have any concrete suggestions, but could we simplify this somehow?
> > Needs a comment at least.
>
> Yeah, I noticed this too.  I think it would be easy enough to add a new
> struct that can be passed as a pointer, which can be stack-allocated
> by the caller, and which holds the input arguments that are common to
> both functions, as is sensible.

I played a fair bit with various options. I ended up not using a struct to
pass most options, but instead go for a flags argument. However, I did use a
struct for passing either relation or smgr.

typedef enum ExtendBufferedFlags {
    EB_SKIP_EXTENSION_LOCK = (1 << 0),
    EB_IN_RECOVERY = (1 << 1),
    EB_CREATE_FORK_IF_NEEDED = (1 << 2),
    EB_LOCK_FIRST = (1 << 3),

    /* internal flags follow */
    EB_RELEASE_PINS = (1 << 4),
} ExtendBufferedFlags;

/*
 * To identify the relation - either relation or smgr + relpersistence has to
 * be specified. Used via the EB_REL()/EB_SMGR() macros below. This allows us
 * to use the same function for both crash recovery and normal operation.
 */
typedef struct ExtendBufferedWhat
{
    Relation rel;
    struct SMgrRelationData *smgr;
    char relpersistence;
} ExtendBufferedWhat;

#define EB_REL(p_rel) ((ExtendBufferedWhat){.rel = p_rel})
/* requires use of EB_SKIP_EXTENSION_LOCK */
#define EB_SMGR(p_smgr, p_relpersistence) ((ExtendBufferedWhat){.smgr = p_smgr, .relpersistence = p_relpersistence})

extern Buffer ExtendBufferedRel(ExtendBufferedWhat eb,
                                ForkNumber forkNum,
                                BufferAccessStrategy strategy,
                                uint32 flags);
extern BlockNumber ExtendBufferedRelBy(ExtendBufferedWhat eb,
                                       ForkNumber fork,
                                       BufferAccessStrategy strategy,
                                       uint32 flags,
                                       uint32 extend_by,
                                       Buffer *buffers,
                                       uint32 *extended_by);
extern Buffer ExtendBufferedRelTo(ExtendBufferedWhat eb,
                                  ForkNumber fork,
                                  BufferAccessStrategy strategy,
                                  uint32 flags,
                                  BlockNumber extend_to,
                                  ReadBufferMode mode);

As you can see I removed ReadBufferMode from most of the functions (as
suggested by Heikki earlier). When extending by 1/multiple pages, we only need
to know whether to lock or not.

The reason ExtendBufferedRelTo() has a 'mode' argument is that that allows to
fall back to reading page normally if there was a concurrent relation
extension.

The reason EB_CREATE_FORK_IF_NEEDED exists is to remove the duplicated,
gnarly, code to do so from vm_extend(), fsm_extend().

I'm not sure about the function naming pattern. I do like 'By' a lot more than
the Bulk prefix I used before.

What do you think?

Greetings,

Andres Freund