Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are accessed in a transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are accessed in a transaction
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-01-24 16:57:37 +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> I've attached a rebased patch.

Looks like there's some issue causing tests to fail probabilistically:

https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/commitfest%2F42%2F3501

Several failures are when testing a 32bit build.

> While reading over this again, I wondered if instead of allocating the
> memory for the LOCALLOCKOWNER in TopMemoryContext, maybe we should
> create a Slab context as a child of TopMemoryContext and perform the
> allocations there.

Yes, that does make sense.

> I would like to get this LockReleaseAll problem finally fixed in PG16,
> but I'd feel much better about this patch if it had some review from
> someone who has more in-depth knowledge of the locking code.

I feel my review wouldn't be independent, but I'll give it a shot if nobody
else does.

Greetings,

Andres Freund