Re: improving user.c error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: improving user.c error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Please use
        errdetail("You must have %s privilege to create roles with %s.",
            "SUPERUSER", "SUPERUSER")));

in this kind of message where multiple copies appear that only differ in
the keyword to use, to avoid creating four copies of essentially the
same string.

This applies in several places.

> -                     errmsg("must have createdb privilege to change createdb attribute")));
> +                     errmsg("permission denied to alter role"),
> +                     errhint("You must have CREATEDB privilege to alter roles with CREATEDB.")));

I think this one is a bit ambiguous; does "with" mean that roles that
have that priv cannot be changed, or does it mean that you cannot meddle
with that bit in particular?  I think it'd be better to say
  "You must have %s privilege to change the %s attribute."
or something like that.

Maybe there's lots of data loss but the records of data loss are also lost.
(Lincoln Yeoh)