Re: BUG #17757: Not honoring huge_pages setting during initdb causes DB crash in Kubernetes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #17757: Not honoring huge_pages setting during initdb causes DB crash in Kubernetes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 2023-01-23 20:35:17 +0000, Sisson, David wrote:
> A quick and dirty solution could be to alter initdb to catch the exception and retry using a copy of the sample with
"huge_pages=false".
> Would that be acceptable?

This is a kubernetes or postgres-operator bug (setting up the wrong cgroup
limit, which the docs explicitly warn against doing). I don't think we want to
accumulate workarounds like that in postgres.

> Passing in a config setting into initdb would still require a rebuild of all controllers.
> That could take months to years at best.

Huh. I don't know anything about the controller, but that seems problematic
independent of this specific issue. And you'd still need to deploy a new
version of postgres to get such changes...

> Internal Use - Confidential

Hardly.

Greetings,

Andres Freund