Re: pgsql: instr_time: Represent time as an int64 on all platforms - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: instr_time: Represent time as an int64 on all platforms
Date
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2023-01-23 01:55:19 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2023-01-23 01:20:54 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Yeah, there was some discussion about that already:
> >> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20230121190303.7xjiwdg3gvb62lu3@awork3.anarazel.de
>
> > I was thinking of starting a starting a separate thread about it - it's
> > mostly a plpython issue, the fact that my commit caused the compilation
> > failure is somewhat random.
>
> True.  It also seems odd to me that per your analysis, we fixed
> the _POSIX_C_SOURCE conflict on 4 Aug 2011 and then broke it again
> on 18 Dec 2011, yet nobody has noticed for nigh a dozen years ---
> there has to be some other element in there.

Well, we didn't *fully* break - all the system library headers included via
postgres.h are still included first. It's "just" stuff like <time.h>, that are
included later / indirectly, where we broke it. It's not too hard to believe
that changing _POSIX_C_SOURCE won't cause immediately visible problems oustide
of a few headers that we already included via c.h.

Greetings,

Andres Freund