Re: How do the Linux distributions create the Linux user/group "postgres"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthias Apitz
Subject Re: How do the Linux distributions create the Linux user/group "postgres"?
Date
List pgsql-general

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgrpms.git;a=blob;f=rpm/redhat/main/non-common/postgresql-15/main/postgresql-15.spec;h=60cd42147a7563ba76c401643d0a7c79b59d2520;hb=HEAD

> 8<-------------------
> %pre server
> groupadd -g 26 -o -r postgres >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> useradd -M -g postgres -o -r -d /var/lib/pgsql -s /bin/bash \
>     -c "PostgreSQL Server" -u 26 postgres >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

From the useradd(8) man page:

CAVEATS
       You may not add a user to a NIS or LDAP group. This must be performed on the
       corresponding server.

       Similarly, if the username already exists in an external user database such as
       NIS or LDAP, useradd will deny the user account creation request.

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045