Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:35:46 +0530, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote in
> I have addressed these comments in the attached. Additionally, I have
> modified the docs and commit messages to make those clear. I think
> instead of adding new tests with this patch, it may be better to
> change some of the existing tests related to streaming to use this
> parameter as that will clearly show one of the purposes of this patch.

Being late but I'm warried that we might sometime regret that the lack
of the explicit default. Don't we really need it?

+        Allows streaming or serializing changes immediately in logical decoding.
+        The allowed values of <varname>logical_decoding_mode</varname> are the
+        empty string and <literal>immediate</literal>. When set to
+        <literal>immediate</literal>, stream each change if
+        <literal>streaming</literal> option is enabled, otherwise, serialize
+        each change.  When set to an empty string, which is the default,
+        decoding will stream or serialize changes when
+        <varname>logical_decoding_work_mem</varname> is reached.

With (really) fresh eyes, I took a bit long time to understand what
the "streaming" option is. Couldn't we augment the description by a
bit?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi