Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 11:19:15AM +0000, gkokolatos@pm.me wrote:
> [...]

Github isn't a requirement for postgres (but cirrusci only supports
github).  I wasn't not trying to say that it's required, only trying to
make sure that you (and others) know that it's available, since our
cirrus.yml is relatively new.

> > > I am afraid I have not been able to reproduce this error. I tried both
> > > debian and freebsd after I addressed the compilation warnings. Which
> > > error did you get? Is it still present in the attached?
> >

> > It's not that there's an error - it's that compression isn't working.
> >
> > $ ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -h /tmp -Z1 -Fp regression |wc -c
> > 659956
> > $ ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -h /tmp -Z2 -Fp regression |wc -c
> > 637192
> >
> > $ ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -h /tmp -Z1 -Fc regression |wc -c
> > 1954890
> > $ ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -h /tmp -Z2 -Fc regression |wc -c
> > 1954890
> >

> Thank you. Now I understand what you mean. Trying the same on top of v18-0003
> on Ubuntu 22.04 yields:

You're right; this seems to be fixed in v18.  Thanks.

It looks like I'd forgotten to run "meson test tmp_install", so had
retested v17...

--
Justin