Re: Using AF_UNIX sockets always for tests on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Using AF_UNIX sockets always for tests on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-12-01 20:30:36 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > Commit f5580882 established that all supported computers have AF_UNIX.
> > One of the follow-up consequences that was left unfinished is that we
> > could simplify our test harness code to make it the same on all
> > platforms.  Currently we have hundreds of lines of C and perl to use
> > secure TCP connections instead for the benefit of defunct Windows
> > versions.  Here's a patch set for that.
>
> If we remove that, won't we have a whole lot of code that's not
> tested at all on any platform, ie all the TCP-socket code?

There's some coverage via the auth and ssl tests. But I agree it's an
issue. But to me the fix for that seems to be to add a dedicated test for
that, rather than relying on windows to test our socket code - that's quite a
few separate code paths from the tcp support of other platforms.

Greetings,

Andres Freund