Re: MSVC vs Perl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: MSVC vs Perl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-11-25 18:48:26 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I could download the installer from ActiveState, but they want me to
> sign up for an account before I do that, which I'm not happy about. And
> while I think our use probably comes within their license terms, IANAL
> and I'm not dead sure, whereas Strawberry is licensed under the usual
> perl license terms.

FWIW, my impression is that strawberry perl is of uh, dubious quality. It's
definitely rarely updated.  I think going with msys' ucrt perl might be the
best choice.

msys ucrt perl IIRC has the same issues mentioned in [1], but otherwise
worked.

I wonder if we ought to add a script that installs most of the windows build
dependencies from msys. I think there's a few where we can't use msys built
versions (due to too much gcc specific stuff ending up in headers), but IIRC
most things were usable. It's just too much work to have everyone do this
stuff manually.

Regards,

Andres

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220130221659.tlyr2lbw3wk22owg%40alap3.anarazel.de