Re: Damage control for planner's get_actual_variable_endpoint() runaway - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Damage control for planner's get_actual_variable_endpoint() runaway
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Nov-21, Jakub Wartak wrote:

> b) I was wondering about creating a new wait class "Planner" with the
> event "ReadingMinMaxIndex" (or similar). The obvious drawback is the
> naming/categorization as wait events are ... well.. as the name "WAIT"
> implies, while those btree lookups could easily be ON-CPU activity.

I think we should definitely do this, regardless of any other fixes we
add, so that this condition can be identified more easily.  I wonder if
we can backpatch it safely.

"Always assume the user will do much worse than the stupidest thing
you can imagine."                                (Julien PUYDT)