Re: Reducing the WAL overhead of freezing in VACUUM by deduplicating per-tuple freeze plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Reducing the WAL overhead of freezing in VACUUM by deduplicating per-tuple freeze plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 04:48:17PM -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > Attached is v2, which I'm just posting to keep CFTester happy. No real
> > changes here.
>
> Attached is v3. I'd like to move forward with commit soon. I'll do so
> in the next few days, barring objections.

Note that this comment is dangling in your patch:

+{
+       Page            page = BufferGetPage(buffer);
+
+       /* nor when there are no tuples to freeze */
-       /* Caller should not call me on a non-WAL-logged relation */
-       Assert(RelationNeedsWAL(reln));
-       /* nor when there are no tuples to freeze */
-       Assert(ntuples > 0);