Re: server process (PID 2964738) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Froehlich
Subject Re: server process (PID 2964738) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 09:48:32AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Froehlich <postgresql@froehlich.priv.at> writes:
> > | # create extension amcheck;
> > | # select oid, relname from pg_class where relname ='faultytablename_pkey';
> > | [returns oid 537203]
> > | # select bt_index_check(537203, true);
> > | server closed the connection unexpectedly

> Another idea is to try using contrib/pageinspect to examine each
> page of the table.  Its output is just gobbledegook to most
> people, but there's a good chance it'd fail visibly on the
> corrupted page(s).

Fortunately I was able to identify a window of 100 records (out of
25 mio.) containing all the errors. After deleting and re-inserting
those records everything seems to be ok (at least, pg_dump and
"reindex database" work without errors).

I suspect a bad RAM module to be the root of the problems. We'll
see.

Side question: If it is possible to simply delete and create such
records is it necessary that the server *core* *dumps*? There could
be a switch adding additional safety (at the cost of performance)
which would make troubleshooting not only much faster but
non-invasive for the other databases on the same server as well.

Bye,
Stefan