Re: Use pg_pwritev_with_retry() instead of write() in dir_open_for_write() to avoid partial writes? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Use pg_pwritev_with_retry() instead of write() in dir_open_for_write() to avoid partial writes?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Oct-27, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 08:09:56PM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > Looks reasonable to me.
>
> 0001, to move pg_pwritev_with_retry() to a new home, seems fine, so
> applied.

Maybe something a bit useless, but while perusing the commits I noticed
a forward struct declaration was moved from one file to another; this is
claimed to avoid including port/pg_iovec.h in common/file_utils.h.  We
do that kind of thing in a few places, but in this particular case it
seems a bit of a pointless exercise, since pg_iovec.h doesn't include
anything else and it's a quite simple header.

So I'm kinda proposing that we only do the forward struct initialization
dance when it really saves on things -- in particular, when it helps
avoid or reduce massive indirect header inclusion.

Attachment