Re: [patch] Have psql's \d+ indicate foreign partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [patch] Have psql's \d+ indicate foreign partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Oct-24, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 09:44:18PM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

> > +                else if (child_relkind == RELKIND_FOREIGN_TABLE && is_partitioned)
> > +                    appendPQExpBuffer(&buf, ", server: \"%s\"", PQgetvalue(result, i, 4));

> To avoid the clutter that you mentioned, I suggest that this should show
> that the table *is* foreign, but without the server - if you want to
> know the server (or its options), you can run another \d command for
> that (or run a SQL query).

But 'server "%s"' is not much longer than "foreign", and it's not like
your saving any vertical space at all (you're just using space that
would otherwise be empty), so I'm not sure it is better.  I would vote
for showing the server.

"You don't solve a bad join with SELECT DISTINCT" #CupsOfFail
https://twitter.com/connor_mc_d/status/1431240081726115845